NOTE: Due to common knowledge that Monday is The Day That Shall Not Be Named (aka, Senior Skip Day), Tuesday is NOT, I repeat, NOT classroom optional. You will need to show up on Tuesday with Parts I-IV of your outline PRINTED for critique!
NOTE #2: Tuesday, March 2nd is the Caucus!
What is a Caucus?
A meeting of supporters of a specific political party. You'll be able to support local candidates, talk to other members of your political party and most importantly, cast your vote for your preferred Presidential candidate.
Interested in attending the Republican or Democratic Caucus?
Go to this website for information, meeting times and locations for the Republican Caucus
Go to this website for information, meeting times and locations for the Democratic Caucus
1. SPAM 2 Letter instructions and time to send your email to your SPA. (see below)
2. Thesis Statement Workshop
3. Work on your outline
SPAM 2 Request Letter.
Because of our time-crunch today, I've written up some quick verbiage for you to use in crafting your SPAM 2 request letter. Feel free to copy, paraphrase, or completely rewrite.
Dear Most Exalted Senior Project Advisor,
I am writing today to request a meeting during sometime between now and March 7th. For the last two weeks I have been pouring over sources, and have critically analyzed 8-10 for my research. In addition, I have outlined my paper to Ashley’s/Lori’s specifications. I will attach both the outline and the source evaluations, and would love any feedback you could provide during the beginning of the writing process.
I have 3 objectives for this meeting:
1. Can we revisit my research question and be sure it will get me where I need to go?
2. Lori and Ashley are requesting that we look over my outline together so that you may give me some feedback on developing this into a research paper.
3. It is optional for you, but you may also look over my annotated bibliography to see what sources I am using to craft my argument, and how I am interpreting these sources.
I will bring a SPAM 2 form with me that echoes the above objectives. Lori and/or Ashley will need these forms signed and returned by March 7th.
[Suggest a couple meeting times – Use their office hours or other time that you know may work best for them.]
1. Review the Weekly objectives/benchmarks/schedule
(Time management tip: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED-- enter these into your own calendar/planner and map out your work time this week with time estimates for each task/day)
Upcoming Classroom Optional Days:
2. Bibliography workshop: We will clarify standards and format for our Senior Project bibliographies. I will walk you through tools, and you will do a final peer critiques of someone’s Works Cited page. Yes, this is nitpicky. Yes, this is tedious. Just get through it- it will be one less thing to think about when you are panicking and trying to finalize your thesis!
3. Outline Workshop:
4. Start Outlining!
Your goal for tomorrow is to get Part I (the introduction) outlined, and have a draft of a thesis statement (even if it's crappy).
A Word from the Grammar Police: AHEM! Indicating titles? Articles are put in quote marks. Longer works are italicized.
Starter #12: Reflect on the Deep Reading assignment: Was the process helpful for you in developing a comprehensive and in-depth understanding of the arguments made related to your topic within the sources? Was it helpful in getting you to select credible sources by leading academics/experts in your field? etc....
Review Week 3 Objectives/Benchmarks and this time management support document
Review Annotated Bibliography assignment (questions?)
Turn in your completed, organized and printed Deep Reading packet
**Who is doing original research? Creating/administering surveys, experiments, etc? Conference with me today!
Now, we'll go over two important documents/assignments:
1. Required Elements of the Thesis (how to outline it)
2. Annotated Bibliography (aka Source Evaluation) Guidelines (CHANGE THE 2nd required deadline for 8-10 sources from Monday, 2/22 to Tuesday, 2/23)
Work Time Objectives
By the end of the day, you should have at least 3 additional sources found (bringing you to a total of 8)
By the time you return to class on Wednesday, you should have all additional sources found, and have completed annotated bibliography entries for 3 sources.
Look back at the Work Habits Survey we took about a week ago (you should have emailed the results to yourself...if you didn't, go back and look at the original survey linked above). Look over how you answered the questions, then write about...
See the Senior Project page for Week 2 Goals and Objectives!
Review this carefully- make sure you know when you need to be here, and when the optional days are.
Deep Reading Continued...
By the end of the day today, you should be DONE. This means your Deep Reading packet is printed, put in order, and ready to turn in in the first minute of class on Thursday.
Week 2: Schedule, Objectives and Daily Benchmarks (2/8-2/12)
1. Review Week 2's Schedule, Objectives and Objectives
2. Share interesting tidbit from your research and student tips on finding resources
3. Continue working on deep reading assignments and conference with Ashley as needed