Today's Goal: Understand the basics of how a bill becomes a law and some other nitty gritty information about Congress that is essential to our Model Senate work.
Starter 17: Intro to Bill to Law
First, watch Schoolhouse Rock, I’m Just a Bill. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyeJ55o3El0
Now, look at this (much more accurate) graphic representation:
1. What’s your gut reaction to all this?
2. What does this say about how our system of government works?
3. What questions do you have about this process right now?
1. If you were absent yesterday, you need to do the following:
2. Homework this week: Phase 1, Senior Project brainstorm due beginning of class on Wednesday, study for Bill to Law Quiz for Friday.
3. Test grades are in infinite campus. There will not be test corrections.
4. We will have a Bill to Law Quiz on Friday. There will be some review time on Thursday. Here is WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW for that quiz.
5. Quick discussion about missing political campaign posters
Bill to Law Pre-Quiz
Let’s see where your knowledge is right now!
Bill to Law Lecture and Notes
Taking the Hill (45 min)
Watch 35 minutes of the documentary. Take notes on important people/concepts. Frame: Giving life, inside look to the flowchart we saw. Documentary is here:
1. Paul Ryan- Speaker of the House (R-WI)
2. Harry Reid- Senate Minority Leader
3. Mitch McConnell- Who is he? What does he do?
4. Party Whip- What does this role do?
5. Caucus- Group of like-minded legislators. EX: Freedom Caucus, very conservative. 38 members of HofR.
Review (10 min)
Review Bill to Law sheet, mark anything you’re unsure of, try to find the answers using lecture notes, graphic, etc.
If you like, check out this 7 minute video, "Crash Course on How a Bill Becomes a Law"
Bill to Law QUIZ on FRIDAY
We’ll do a few review activities on Thursday, but you should also study!
Comments are closed.
Humanities teacher at Animas High School